Saturday, November 17, 2012

Breaking It Down- Poetry




Poetry helps build memory pathways and helps your children know how to write beautifully. It aids in the understanding of the English language and it is fun!

I have my children (and myself!) working on a poem each, at all times. They get to pick from several poetry/nursery rhyme books I have on hand.  Light in the Attic and Falling Up have many hilarious poems children love to memorize! Also check out The Harp and the Laurel Wreath for more classical works.
 
My older children write one line of their poem into their notebook each day and say the whole thing out loud to me once per day. By the time they are done copying it, they have it memorized. I just have the little ones repeat their poems after me once per day. Some moms read the week’s poems onto an audio tape and let their children play it all the time. This can help with other memorizing also.

Oh, and don’t forget famous speeches, documents, and sermons! Older children especially may enjoy committing these to memory!

By having all poems practiced together at the same time (well, no we don’t all speak at once. We take turns), each child “accidentally” memorizes everyone else’s poems. It is kind of fun when a little one points out to an older one that he forgot a line!

The library and internet have many good poetry books, including Mother Goose. I favor the funniest ones myself.

I never saw a purple cow.
I hope to never see one.
But I can tell you anyhow,
I’d rather see than be one!

*As memorized by my Jessie at age three.

No comments:

Post a Comment