Friday, January 18, 2019

Bible

The subject "Bible" covers reading the Bible itself, memory verses, hymns/Sunday School songs/ worship music, prayer, character, and apologetics/worldview.

Bible 

Family

We have two times per day we get the Bible out for the family; school, and bedtime devotions. 

For school, I read one verse from Proverbs outloud for each child (whose skills are up to it) to write down. This helps penmanship, punctuation, and spelling as well as teaches the wisdom of Solomon.

Then I read one chapter from the Old Testament, skipping most of The Law, and the begats. Though important to know, they are horribly boring when read out loud. The kids then draw a picture to go with the story and add a caption. 

For our evening devotionals, I read one chapter from the New Testament. 

I have used a number of different Bibles over the years in our school. Really, any Bible you like works fine. We are most comfortable with the King James or the New King James, though we find the occasional reading from The Message to be a hoot!

I can't think of a better way for my children to become familiar with the Word of God than to hear it read everyday.

Here are some good options:


I like using the Chronological Bible for our daily school chapter, though the one I have is a NIV One Year Bible. It makes the Bible stories stick in order better. This particular copy comes with a lot of interesting information. I may need to get one, because, you know, I NEED another Bible! (lol)

The Patriot's Bible is the one our church gives to anyone who needs a Bible. It has many articles and biographies about the founding of our nation. I use this one in our family's bedtime devotionals.

The third one is just a nice, simple, $10 Bible. The important part, the Word of God, is the same in all of them and you don't really need all the bells and whistles of the first two. In fact, there are many free Bibles on the internet and in phone apps. I do my personal morning reading in the free YouVersion app on my phone. The Dollar Tree has a Bible, also.

Independent



I ask my kids to spend a few minutes a day in independent reading of the Bible and prayer.

The Preschooler's Bible is the first one I read out loud to my oldest. She was 7 months when I started :-). It is very similar to the popular Beginners Bible, but I like it much better. I use this for my children's personal Bible study time until they are ready to start reading the Bible themselves.

Once a child is reading, I move to the Primary Bible Reader (published by Abeka Book). This little book has carefully selected verses from the King James Bible. Abeka's catalog puts it at the second-fourth grade range.

The Kid's Study Bible has lots of charts and nice resources for kids who can read independently.

The Thompson Chain Bible is the one Bible Colleges have their students buy. There are just too many tools in this Bible to even begin to list them here. This is the publisher's website.

My Wish LIst



Bibles with 2" margins for note taking, drawing and coloring. A couple even have occasional coloring pages. Bible and Bible Journal in one.


Sermon Note journals are available in several colors and patterns. It's a cool idea I intend to incorporate into my bullet journal.

Coloring the occasional Proverb instead of writing it down would be fun :-)

A journal with prompts to help you study the Bible.

There are many coloring books of scripture and Bible stories for all ages available on Amazon, if you think they would be an asset to your family.

Because this has taken so much space, I have continued "Bible" onto other pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment