Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Words Are Categorical

In my quest to find a more effective way for my kids to learn grammar, I have run across this serious of books. To be honest, I have no idea where the first couple books came from. I guess someone gave them to me at some time. But I have lately been making a point of reading them frequently out loud (technically to my 6yo, though I make sure its when everyone else can hear.) and have bought a couple new ones from Amazon.

I think it's working! At least, my 6yo is "getting" the parts of speech, and when my 10yo asked what an adverb was, I handed her the relevant book and she said, "Oh, yeah."

I intend to play the School House Rock Grammar video when it's my turn today (it's a rare rainy day here in Nevada, and several of the kids don't feel well, so the TV is going), and I think it will be the perfect complement to these books.

The ones I have don't go into an awful lot of detail, but the pictures are cute and the rhymes are, uhh, interesting. There appear to be more advanced ones available, though I haven't had a chance to read them yet.

So, at this point, these two resources- Words are Categorical and Grammar Rock- seem the perfect way to introduce grammar to a 6yo while reinforcing what the older kids already know.



No comments:

Post a Comment